Our poor baby! One minute she is running along having a great time....next thing you know she trips over one of her golf clubs on the floor and she has a fat lip. She didn't even really cry! Brian and I didn't know anything was wrong until she was sitting with daddy & lamby and all of a suddent Brian notices blood on lamby!!!
We start to investigate immediatly and discover that she has ripped her frenulum (sp?)......yes we had to look this up! It is the little piece of skin that attaches your upper lip to your gums. We learned the following:
1) It is fairly common for them to rip in toddlers
2) no you don't need to go to the doctor (there is nothing they can do)
3) because there is a lot of blood (a lot of blood) it looks worse then it is
4) no they don't grow back
5) it doesn't matter that they don't grow back because you don't really need it for anything
6) How to treat: light pressure, ice pack to stop bleeding and lessen swelling
Although this was a first for Brian & I....I think we handled it well! Not too much freaking out....no fainting from blood....not too much crying. I am sure this will not be the last. Tyler is fearless and clumsy...not a great combination!